Albany, Georgia, celebrates 100 years of corps service
The Salvation Army in Albany, Georgia, celebrated the theme of “A Century of Service” over the March 9-10 weekend as 75 officers, soldiers and friends gathered for the corps’ 100th anniversary in the south Georgia city.
The weekend opened with a Saturday meet and great event coordinated by Harold Boling, advisory board chairman, and board members with the assistance of Lieutenants James and Rebecca Sullivan, corps officers.
The event recognized donors, advisory board members, volunteers and past corps officers. Major Kelly English, who with his wife Angela were 2012-2017 corps officers, gave an inspiring devotional. The RCMS Soaring Eagles Dance Team under the leadership of Yalonda Jackson performed an interpretive dance.
Guests were given an opportunity to tour A Place 4 Hope, the Family Thrift Store and the shelter. A community effort, A Place 4 Hope has a resource center to help people with local services and life skills; computer and telephone access; and showers and a laundry. The shelter is a 40-bed overnight emergency facility for men, women and families.
Sunday’s holiness meeting was the weekend’s highlight. Major Jaci Cotoni, retired, welcomed everyone to the meeting, which began with a procession of officers and soldiers. Participants included Lieutenants Sullivan; Majors Henry and Cheryl Hunter, corps officers 1994-1997, now retired in North Carolina; Major Douglas McClure, who with his wife Major Storm were 2007-2012 officers and are now serving in Dalton, Georgia; and ACSM Lurlene Batten and YPSM Barbara Green, longtime Albany Corps soldiers.
Major Cheryl Hunter led the Soldier’s Covenant Renewal, and Soldier Robert Morris gave his personal testimony. Major Henry Hunter spoke from Psalms 119:1-11 and then guided the congregation in a time of reflection, and the Soaring Eagles performed. An anniversary banquet followed.
According to an anniversary program book, the Albany Corps began in March 1919 when Supply S.H. Dillman began the Army’s work in a building at 515 N. Washington St. The corps moved to Broad Street in 1921, and back to Washington Street in 1927.
Captain and Mrs. James Sipe arrived in 1949 and began assembling land for a new corps location. On Nov. 25, 1951, a building that now houses A Place 4 Hope opened at 308 W. 2nd Ave. The corps’ current address is 304 W. 2nd.