Friday, June 7 is the 76th annual National Donut Day, a holey day for sweets lovers and an essential holiday for The Salvation Army.
Started as a fundraiser by The Salvation Army in Chicago during the Great Depression, National Donut Day honors our military veterans and commemorates the work of Salvation Army volunteers who used the tasty confection to comfort American soldiers in France and Germany during World War I.
These female volunteers, earning the nickname “Doughnut Lassies” and “Doughtnut Girls,” fried the donuts in solders’ helmets, and served countless treats to grateful troops. The donut has since been a long-standing symbol of the services and comfort The Salvation Army provides. To this day, The Army continues to provide comfort with coffee and donuts to survivors and emergency responders who need support on the scene of disaster.
In celebration of the year’s sweetest holiday, our friends at Entenmann’s Bakery, famous for the Rich Frosted Donut, are donating $1 to The Salvation Army for every person who “likes” the Entenmann’s Facebook page (find it here: https://www.facebook.com/Entenmanns) – up to $30,000 – until June 15!
In advance of the big day, we invite you to Madison Square Park in New York City TODAY from 12:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. for a special National Donut Day celebration with Entenmann’s and The Salvation Army. If you’re in the area, stop by for goodies, surprises and special guests. And make sure to join in the conversation with us on Twitter as we share pictures using #NationalDonutDay.
You can also celebrate with us on Friday by stopping by one of these participating donut stops for some deals:
- On the West Coast, more than 1,000 of the independent shops who use BakeMark baking supplies – a national baking supply company – will have this poster in their window. Every donut you buy on June 7, 2013 from one of their shops will help The Salvation Army serve veterans through a generous donation from BakeMark. Yes, eating donuts can be an act of patriotism.
- Krispy Kreme is offering a free donut to everyone on Friday with no purchase necessary.
- Dunkin Donuts will offer a free donut with the purchase of a beverage on Friday.
- LaMar’s Donuts is giving away free donuts Friday with no purchase necessary, and a portion of this week’s sales are being donated to The Salvation Army.
- Tim Hortons is offering a free donut with any purchase on Friday if you print this Facebook coupon.
- Or make your own with the original doughnut recipe used by Salvation Army Doughnut Lassies!
However you choose to celebrate, we wish you a Happy #NationalDonutDay!